Tuesday, October 21, 2008

"I" isn't right all the time

Using the pronoun I is not always correct. "Molly and I went to the store." Correct. "This is between Molly and I." Incorrect. It should be "This is between Molly and me." Most people are so afraid of accidentally using me incorrectly (e.g., "Molly and me went to the store") that they hypercorrect themselves and use I where the correct pronoun would be me.

For a really good explanation of the correct usage of
I and me, check out the transcript for Grammar Girl's episode, Between You and Me.

1 comment:

sneece said...

I was told at one point in my schooling that to figure out the proper "I" or "me" pronoun...take the second party out of your sentence and just use "I" or "me."

For example: Joe and I are going to the store.

Is I correct? Let's see:

I am going to the store or
Me am going to the store.

"I" obviously is the correct choice.